It is always best to be prepared ahead of time and know what to do in the case of any natural disaster.
Preparation Before a Natural Disaster
- Teach your family what to do in case of any emergency, natural or otherwise. Know where to meet after an emergency.
- Find basic services around your home: electricity, water, gas, etc. Know how to turn all of these off.
- Build an emergency kit. Be sure to include enough food and water for at least 72 hours for each family member. Be sure to keep supplies up to date. Place your emergency kit in an easily accessible area in your home.
Example of items to include in your kit:
- 1 Gallon of water per person per day
- Non Perishable food
- Battery Powered Radio with extra batteries
- First Aid kit
- Dust Masks
- Jacket/Coat, long sleeve shirts, sturdy shoes