- If possible, stay home during high winds.
- Secure windows and shutters against high winds. If possible, secure outside furniture or move it inside before the winds start.
- If you need to travel, be aware of possible falling trees or debris.
- If driving a large or high profile vehicle, be extra cautious of wind gusts that may cause you to be pushed with the wind.
- If you encounter fallen power poles or power lines, do not approach them!
- If lines fall on your vehicle, stay inside your vehicle unless it catches fire. If this happens, exit your car safely by opening the door and jumping clear of the vehicle without touching any metal portions of the vehicles exterior. Quickly get to a safe distance from the power lines and well out of lanes of travel.